Age spots (most common in people over the age of 40) are flat tan, brown or black spots that vary in size and location on your body. While many age spots may look cancerous, a true sun spot is mostly harmless – except for the unwanted blemish it provides.
With age and lack of sun protection we all fall victim to unsightly age spots (aka liver spots). Being a lover of everything outdoors myself, I consciously do my best to protect my skin as much as possible. However, everyone faces the risk of age spots regardless of your lifestyle or profession. So, how do we battle these unwanted blemishes on our body? Before putting yourself through painful laser resurfacing or deep chemical peels, try a few of these products that claim to help lighten those unattractive areas on your hands, face and chest.
Our top 5 Picks
- Hydroquinone: one of the most popular choices when it comes to treating solar lentigines or age spots, comes in two forms; over-the-counter and prescription strength. By law, over-the-counter products cannot contain more than 2% of hydroquinone, making minor blemishes perfect for the quick visit to CVS. However if you have more severe spots, then seeking out a prescription strength treatment may be the way to go.
- Reverse Regime by Rodan and Fields: a personal favorite, https://www.rodanandfields.com/Shop/Reverse Reverse exfoliates, brightens and offers an effective method to treat sun spots, while helping to reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- Ambi Fade Cream: a perfect choice for those looking to save a few bucks, this anti-aging cream can be found in just about every drugstore making it the most affordable and convenient option on the market.
- Lancome Dreamtone: On the other end of the spectrum is Dreamtone, rather pricey compared to the other options, but many people absolutely swear by the age defying results this product offers.
- Home Remedies: Now that we have covered the cosmetic industry options, it wouldn’t be right if we didn’t address the natural options for skin care and liver spot treatment. Here are some of the top ways we found that claim to fight back those blemishes using natural solutions.
- Lemon Juice – a simple quick rub of sliced lemon on your trouble spots for roughly 10-15 minutes a day can do wonders for your look.
- Aloe Vera – known for its natural healing power, Aloe Vera also works to help reduce your sun spots. Apply twice a day for optimum results.
- Gramflour Pack – this mask is great for removing sun spots and includes natural whiteners to help give your skin a uniform look.
- Buttermilk -an old Indian secret, dipping buttermilk on a cotton ball and applying directly to your sun spots has been used as a beauty treatment for thousands of years!
- Yogurt – If buttermilk is not easy to obtain, and you’re not in the mood to churn a bowl yourself, then opt in for it’s cousin, yogurt. Like buttermilk, apply to the trouble areas, leave until dried, wash and repeat as needed.
Healthy aging is an important factor when it comes to mental and emotional health, and finding a remedy that makes you feel and look good is equally important. So next time you are out in the sun make sure you are using proper skin care prevention such as covered clothing, sun screen, hats and other accessories. When the day comes and you do find a blemish here or there, we hope one of our top picks is there to give you what you need .